upcoming 10.2 release
Rick Hillegas
2006-02-14 18:12:41 UTC
Dear Derby user community,

Yesterday, the Derby developers started a discussion about the timing
and contents of the next (10.2) release. A feature freeze date of April
7 was suggested although we have not settled on this date yet. I would
estimate that the actual release would appear around two months after
feature freeze.

Please let us know about any bugs which are particularly important to
you and which you would like to see fixed in this release.

Thanks,
-Rick
Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter
2006-02-14 21:02:48 UTC
I made a little research on JIRA, and my "Oscar" goes to:

DERBY-342: At least basic (like operator) comparision between long
varchar (and clob). IMHO, related to DERBY-472 (see bellow).

DERBY-396, DERBY-119: Alter table DROP/RENAME/MODIFY column, suporting
rename of column even if part of referencial integrity; drop column with
release of space; modify column from NULL to NOT NULL - if NOT NULL
specified and table has records, then a DEFAULT is mandatory. Besides
it's not too usefull in production database, it's a fundamental feature
for development and upgrading times.

DERBY-239: Non-blocking online backup. A must have for production
databases 24 x 7 x 365.

DERBY-84: allow using column aliases in ORDER BY and HAVING because the
column alias could be a complex expression (in reality, I think its a
new variant from DERBY-84). Unique database I know allow this is MSSQL
since 2000 version (in ORDER BY - not in Having). Allow simplify queries.

DERBY-533, DERBY-554: Is a basic must-have for latin american
developers/users for adoption.

DERBY-472: Full-text indexing could allow very fast search. IMHO, it's
DERBY-342 related (if we could make full text searchs over long
varchar/clob would be amazing!).

At finally, more usage examples (lots of them) for each DDL/DML sql
command. Sorry by comparision, but I find to much easier to read MS SQL
Books Online than Oracle manuals (I know, don't compare oranges with
apples, but I'm looking at developer vision - and more examples = more
valuable reading in majority of cases).

-----------

(if some of above is already fixed, sorry: I could not find this
information - version where fixed - in bug pages)

Best regards,

Edson Richter
-Rick
Kathey Marsden
2006-02-14 21:56:25 UTC
Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter wrote:
[snip lots of great improvements for Derby that probably won't make it
by April 7 #:( ]

What is most important now is to identify *bugs* that need to be fixed
in 10.2.
There are 137 open code bugs against DERBY. Vote for the issues that
are important to you in Jira. Also let us know if you think the priority
should be higher/lower.

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ManageFilters.jsp -> Derby open
code bugs

I also want to ask the user community to try out 10.2 with your
existing applications and make sure you hit no regressions.
There is an alpha snapshot from Jan 25 at :
http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html

But remember 10.2 should not be used on a database that you care about.
There is *no upgrade* to/from 10.2 in the alpha version!

Thanks

Kathey
David W. Van Couvering
2006-02-14 22:10:23 UTC
I just want to clarify Kathey's clarification :). By "voting" -- there
is actually a mechanism in JIRA to add your vote to a bugid. If you
think a bug is important, add your vote through JIRA.

David
Kathey
Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter
2006-02-14 23:50:48 UTC
Thank you for clarifications...

I'll be a "better" reader in future mails... Anyway, I think I never got
in trouble with Derby in my apps (that are, in majority, multi-database
compatible), and so I try to keed SQL as simple as possible, except some
(two or three) months ago where I got a non starting database where I
could not hack to discover where the problem is, neither I got responses
to my mails on this list, what disappointed a lot :-(. So, I was forced
to got to comercial databases...

I worked with database as large as 700Mb without problems. The unique
problem I really find in Derby is lack of some very basic features, like
renaming columns (even if part of primary/foreign keys), and unblocking
online backup, both enhancements, not bugs, and both, IMHO, are
prohibitive for early adoption for large projects/production servers.

Thank you,

Richter
Kathey
Kathey Marsden
2006-02-15 00:29:29 UTC
Post by Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter
I worked with database as large as 700Mb without problems. The unique
problem I really find in Derby is lack of some very basic features,
like renaming columns (even if part of primary/foreign keys), and
unblocking online backup, both enhancements, not bugs, and both, IMHO,
are prohibitive for early adoption for large projects/production servers.
Thanks Edson for the important feature feedback. Please make sure you
put in votes in Jira for the features you want as well. so hopefully we
will catch those next time around. Online backup is planned for 10.2 I
think. Here is a list of some of the major development activities
underway. I can't say which ones will actually make it.
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyDevActivities

Kathey
Alex Miller
2006-02-15 15:23:33 UTC
I think DERBY-854 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-854) is
critical for working with read-only databases in embedded mode.
Currently, the JDBC DatabaseMetaData methods are completely broken when
running in this mode. Thus, read-only databases cannot work with any
tool that imports metadata (which includes most JDBC tools I'm aware
of).

Please vote for this bug if you would like to use read-only databases
from a zip file. My company would love to ship some example databases
in this way but have given up on Derby due to this bug.

Alex Miller
Chief Architect
MetaMatrix

-Rick
Mike Matrigali
-Rick
Satheesh Bandaram

-Rick
Mike Matrigali
2006-02-16 17:15:18 UTC
Just looking at the stack trace in DERBY-854 it has the feel of the system
trying to do the automatic upgrade between point releases of stored
procedures on a read only db. It is a total guess at what it going
on. Note all I did was read the stack trace
in the 854 and happened to remember the description of the bug you
fixed - not even sure which bug it was at this point.
-Rick
Satheesh Bandaram
2006-02-16 19:14:22 UTC
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
Right... They look similar. I <b>guess </b>(haven't investigated
enough) this problem is different in that Derby has mechanism to
automatically recompile stored prepared statements under some
conditions. The recompiled plan is stored back, but this can't be done
for read-only databases. <br>
The problem I fixed earlier was attempting to "apply safe changes"
during soft upgrade. But this can't be done for read-only databases.<br>
Satheesh<br>
Mike Matrigali wrote:<br>
<pre wrap="">Just looking at the stack trace in DERBY-854 it has the feel of the system
trying to do the automatic upgrade between point releases of stored
procedures on a read only db. It is a total guess at what it going
on. Note all I did was read the stack trace
in the 854 and happened to remember the description of the bug you
fixed - not even sure which bug it was at this point.

Satheesh Bandaram wrote:

</pre>
<pre wrap="">Mike, I missed your question... which was in the subject. The issue I
fixed is different... It was about soft upgrade failing on readonly
database.

Satheesh

Mike Matrigali wrote:

</pre>
<pre wrap="">Alex Miller wrote:

</pre>
<pre wrap="">I think DERBY-854 (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-854">https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-854</a>) is
critical for working with read-only databases in embedded mode.
Currently, the JDBC DatabaseMetaData methods are completely broken when
running in this mode. Thus, read-only databases cannot work with any
tool that imports metadata (which includes most JDBC tools I'm aware
of).
</pre>
<pre wrap="">in this way but have given up on Derby due to this bug.
Alex Miller
Chief Architect
MetaMatrix

Alex Miller
2006-02-16 03:11:21 UTC
Mike,

I'm not familiar with any recent issue - do you have a reference to a
JIRA issue or other info?

No upgrade was involved with this scenario - it was seen on a clean
install of 10.1.2.1.

Alex Miller
Chief Architect
MetaMatrix